Monday, December 6, 2010

A Good Book & More......

Just finished a good book. I know it was a good book because I didn't want to finish it, I wanted to keep reading it for about a zillion more pages. It was by an author I hadn't read, her second novel. Sing Them Home by Stephanie Kallos. The story of three siblings who lost their mom when they were young, lost her in a very bizzarre way and how it affected their lives. How it molded them, stunted them and finally allowed them to be who they were meant to be.  I highly recommend this book. I will be back at the library this week hoping to find Kallos' first novel, Broken For You.

Since I hooked up with NetFlix, I have become an indie junkie. Independent films are my new passion. They are films you would never look for at the video store, you don't see them advertised like you do mainstream flicks. But I can tell you, they are some of the best movies I have ever seen. And with actors that we all know & love.
Here are a few that I recommend:

Just watched: The Private Lives of Pippa Lee  starring Robin Wright Penn (love her), Alan Arkin, Blake Lively & Keanu Reeves. Loved it. Story of Pippa going from a young ,wild girl (Blake Lively) to middle aged (Robin Wright Penn) and having a melt down.

Away From Her starring Julie Christie & Gordon Pinsent.The  love story of an older woman battling Alzheimers and her husbands dealing with it. But let me tell you, she is one beautiful older woman, huge fan of Julie Christie.

Then She Found Me starring Bette Midler, Colin Firth ( love him ), and Helen Hunt, who also directs. A famous actress, who gave a baby up for adoption(Midler), decides to find the baby (Hunt), thirty something years later. You know with Midler you are going to get some laughs.

Then there is this little English movie, Kinky Boots, that I just loved. Now,  take into consideration that I am a fan of English actors and films, but even if you aren't, this is a cute movie.  This film is based on a true story. An Englishman inherits a shoe factory that is about to go under. Through a chance encounter, he meets a transvestite & his/her "kinky boots". .......

So, these are a few of my faves....thanks for stopping by & please stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment