Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Review: How to be a Woman by Caitlin Moran

I am sure you  have  "heard" me say  that I love British sitcoms, Masterpiece Theater, Downtown Abbey, all of it. Are You Being Served and As Time Goes By are two of my very fave TV shows on PBS. My decorating style is Shabby Chic, English Cottage...I could go on. So I was very excited to read Caitlin Moran's new book, How to Be a Woman.
Let me say right up front , it is not for the faint of heart! She is a gutsy British girl and  her language can be quite raw. There are several well written books out there for women who are over forty, over fifty, the old fifty is now the new thirty....but Moran's book is for all women, whatever age. She reminds us that we all need to be feminists, for our own survival. Does a  good job explaining what a feminist is and isn't, too.
Each chapter is filled with life as she has known it and it is quite funny and very direct. Starts off with a  chapter on what to call our vaginas. I was LOL-ing when I saw the term our family used for it right there on one of the pages ! Next what to call our breasts, other than BOOBS. "My Girls" was coined by Scarlett Johannson evidently, so we all can't use Scar's nickname for our own boobs. (I have always fancied the "ta-tas" term from the movie Top Gun) Let me also mention that these discussions are not short & obscure..they take up pages in this handbook ! From pubic hair & the 'Brazilian" to her own baby's  delivery, Moran keeps you thinking and laughing and maybe a bit flushed around the face. And speaking of faces, a discussion of Botox is in the mix, too.
So please get yourself a copy of Moran's How to Be a Woman. It's Brilliant !!



1 comment:

  1. I'm dying to read this book! Also, I can't find your contact info on your blog...wanted to ask you if you'd be willing to review my book, What Not to Say: Tools for Talking with Young Children? I can email you an ebook today! sarahmaclaughlin@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete