Thursday, July 5, 2012

Review: I Feel Bad About My Neck by Nora Ephron


Gotta love a woman who can write a fake orgasm scene like no other.
Nora Ephron has written some of our favorite lines in our favorite movies. I was saddened to hear of her passing last month, what a great talent. I own a copy of when Harry Met Sally and Sleepless in Seattle, two all time faves. I have watched them so many times and then when I run into them while I am channel surfing, I still stop and watch them. I had never read one of her books, although when her latest came out I thought I should pick it up. I have seen interviews that she has done and I tell you, she is FUNNY.
So last week in a second hand store, I first stopped in the used book section. I love to scan all the shelves, hoping something will catch my eye. Well, sitting right on top of a pile of books that had been perused and then not put back on the shelf was a copy of Ephron's "I Feel Bad About My Neck...."
Of course, that is THE lament for women of a certain age, tee-hee. I picked it up and put it in my cart. I felt like it was put on that pile just for me to see. I read it in a couple of days. It was hilarious and sooo witty and intelligent. So many of her quirky issues are issues for all women. She touches on beauty regimens, raising kids, and then in the final chapters she touches on death and dying. At the  time she wrote the book (2006), she had just lost a close friend and was still grieving. I could feel her pain, but I could hear bit of laughter, too, as she recounted conversations with her friend about what to do when her "time" came. Only because I knew that Ephron's time was limited , did I see that her words were very poignant as she tells her readers how she would like to be remembered when her own time came.
Such a good book...required reading for every woman over fifty.
R.I.P. Nora Ephron.

No comments:

Post a Comment